Dodgers: Three September Call-Ups Who Will Make an Impact
More from LA Dodgers News
- Kevin Kiermaier being ‘top target’ to replace Cody Bellinger is bad sign for Dodgers
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Dave Roberts’ quote about Padres in NLDS should motivate Dodgers
- Former Astro seemingly takes uncalled for shot at Cody Bellinger after Cubs deal
- Dodgers’ 2023 lineup without Trea Turner isn’t as impressive as it should be
This is one of the more obvious picks for an impact September call-up but at the same time the Dodgers outfield is crowded even without expanded rosters so Verdugo will only get a few chances to shine.
Barring an injury, Verdugo is going to be a pinch hitter, pinch runner, or defensive replacement during the month of September. He may get a few starts to give Puig or Kemp a breather.
While some may make the case for Verdugo to start with Matt Kemp slumping, it’s unlikely that will come to fruition with Kemp starting to swing the bat much better in the last few games.
This season Verdugo is hitting .335 for the OKC Dodgers with nine home runs. Verdugo has shown impressive bat control this season striking out just 44 times in 316 at-bats.
This makes him the ideal late game pinch hitter during September when you need contact to drive a run in.
Although he is just twenty-two years old this season, Alex Verdugo has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues. He finds himself blocked by the glut of outfielders on the active roster but he still has a chance to make an impact this September since Dave Roberts likes to change up the roster and give everyone at least one game off a week.