Rumor Roundup: Zimmermann, Heyward, O’Day, Chapman
Catching Up On The Latest Dodgers Rumors
As we gradually work ourselves deeper and deeper into the hot stove season, rumors and speculation are coming thick and fast. With the winter meetings approaching expect some of this speculation to turn into action in the coming weeks. Here’s the latest:
More from Dodgers Way
- Giants sign former Dodgers pitcher in another move that’ll get them nowhere
- Kevin Kiermaier being ‘top target’ to replace Cody Bellinger is bad sign for Dodgers
- Are the Dodgers really prepared to hand Shohei Ohtani a blank check?
- Dodgers fans shouldn’t dismiss interest in Dansby Swanson for this reason
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Bob Nightengale reports that the Dodgers have ‘identified free agent Jordan Zimmermann as one of their top targets’. He later adds that they are still in the race for Zack Greinke but like Zimmermann an ‘awful lot’. I’ve addressed Zimmermann a number of times most notably here.
- John Schoenfield of ESPN identified the Dodgers as a ‘sleeper team’ in the Jason Heyward sweepstakes. Such a scenario would require the Dodgers top move at least one outfielder and Schoenfield lists moving Puig for a starter as a possibility. I would tend to disagree with the logic there, given that they both play the same position, have similar upside yet Heyward will cost appx $20M compared to Puig’s appx $5M. Nonetheless, Heyward in right field is nothing to complain about, that’s for sure.
- Jerry Crasnick reported that the Dodgers are pursuing free agent reliever Darren O’Day ‘big time’. O’Day, the best free agent reliever available, is expected to receive a deal in the 4yr/$28-36M range. O’Day would be a significant upgrade to the Dodgers late inning options.
- The Reds expect to move premier closer, Aroldis Chapman, before the Winter Meetings (Dec 7-11). Any team with hopes of acquiring Chapman would likely have to give up a haul to land the flamethrower, which could potentially take the Dodgers out of the running. The Dodgers already have a top closer in Kenley Jansen which may further deter the Dodgers from pursuing Chapman
- Jon Heyman has added some fuel to the ‘Greinke to the Giants’ rumors, stating that the Giants are a ‘serious threat’ to land the Cy Young runner-up.
- The Dodgers are expected to make a decision regarding the managerial opening early next week. The decision is believed to be between Dave Roberts and Gabe Kapler.
- The Dodgers have ‘checked in’ on talented Braves hurler Shelby Miller. In similar discussions with the Diamondbacks, the Braves requested OF A.J Pollock in return so it appears the acquiring team may have to pay a hefty price for the hard throwing right-hander. For more on this click here.
- The Dodgers have also checked in on veteran right-hander John Lackey. Lackey a 2 time World Series Champion, is coming off an excellent year with the Cardinals. At 37 years old, Lackey will require a much lighter commitment than some of the other top names on the market. For more click here.
- Again in search of starting pitching, the Dodgers have inquired on the Indians’ starters. Corey Kluber, Danny Salazaar, Carlos Carrasco and Trevor Bauer could all be of interest to the Dodgers. The Indians are reportedly seeking a quality outfielder in return. Alex discussed this in detail yesterday, you can read more here.