PLAYERS OUT OF OPTIONS
Two players that don’t appear to have a set roster spot are out of minor league option years. OF Trayce Thompson, and pitcher Wilmer Font. These players will either have to make the team, be traded, claimed off waivers if the Dodgers attempt to outright them off the 40 man roster to the minors, or released.
More from LA Dodgers News
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Dave Roberts’ quote about Padres in NLDS should motivate Dodgers
- Former Astro seemingly takes uncalled for shot at Cody Bellinger after Cubs deal
- Dodgers’ 2023 lineup without Trea Turner isn’t as impressive as it should be
- Recapping who Dodgers gained and lost in Rule 5 Draft
Thompson had a bad year last season as he struggled to recover from serious back surgery. Despite his RH power potential, his odds of making the team are slim. Ultimately, the Dodgers may have to work out a trade with a rebuilding team that could provide an opportunity.
Font does not have a clear role after spending last year as a starter in AAA. His arm plays up, but he is also in his late twenties, and even more detrimental, he is out of options. Perhaps the Dodgers can find a taker for him overseas, as they did with Darin Ruf a year ago. He profiles as a starting pitcher who can provide a lot of innings to a ballclub that has an opening. Coupled with his age, an overseas gig may be the best thing for him at this stage of his career.
The 2018 Dodgers are a well rounded, talented team. They do not have many openings. However, the spots above are key positions that need to be filled. The Dodgers will have the next month to assemble their opening day squad for 2018.