Walker Buehler, who has been one of very few players to both pitch well and stay healthy in 2018, was removed from the game with sore ribs on his throwing side in the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Braves. Buehler’s inaugural campaign on his career was off to a blazing start where he has accumulated an ERA of 2.63, a 4-1 record, and 54 strikeouts in 51.1 innings. The young righty’s sensational season has come at a time where the rest of the pitching staff saw itself sidelined on the disabled list and unable to play. Losing Buehler for even a start would be a devastating blow to this ballclub not only because they would lose Buehler’s brilliance every five days but because the replacements in-house are not strong options. The results of his post-game tests will be made known tomorrow.
- Among the injured is the newcomer to the big leagues, Dennis Santana. Santana’s season was off to an incredible start in the minors, ultimately getting him his first call-up to the big leagues. Santana was diagnosed with a right rotator cuff strain and with that, the young right-hander can be expected to miss significant time. The injury for Santana comes at a seriously unfortunate time as it will make it dent in a fantastic year. Dennis has pitched with an incredible knack for the strikeout while in the minors and that ability should translate to the major leagues provided he can get healthy in a timely manner. Santana’s recovery time has been projected at different lengths and an official number will be revealed tomorrow.
More from Dodgers Way
- Kevin Kiermaier being ‘top target’ to replace Cody Bellinger is bad sign for Dodgers
- Are the Dodgers really prepared to hand Shohei Ohtani a blank check?
- Dodgers fans shouldn’t dismiss interest in Dansby Swanson for this reason
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Dave Roberts’ quote about Padres in NLDS should motivate Dodgers
- In response to struggling players and injuries, the Dodgers made a flurry of roster moves on Friday, June 9. The team placed Dennis Santana on the disabled list and recalled Pat Venditte from triple-A. Righty, Brock Stewart, was optioned following a string of poor performances and taking his spot is lefty Adam Liberatore. The team will also be forced to make a roster move on both the 40 and 24 man rosters if they plan on calling up Daniel Corcino, a plan believed to be in place by most.
- The Dodgers need to hop on the trade market this year is growing with every day. The priority currently is to grab pitching but second base is certainly an important piece of the deadline’s puzzle. The Dodgers could look to any of the rebuilding teams for solid options. The team’s options remain open and at the moment, there has been little speculation as to who the Dodgers may try and grab this year.