The Dodgers sweated out a close 6-4 win over the Milwaukee Brewers last night. The win gave the Dodgers a 1.5 game lead over the Dbacks who lost to the Rockies.
The Dodgers are undefeated in the Manny Machado era, okay it’s only been one game. The Dodgers were 6-4 victors on Friday night although the game became a little too close for comfort. After Kiké Hernandez hit a three-run home run in the ninth inning, the Dodgers made things interesting in the ninth as two runs scored off Dylan Floro before Jansen was able to end the game with the tying run at the plate.
Rich Hill gave the Dodgers six solid innings allowing only one earned run. Hill was a little wild in the early innings but settled in and ended up striking out nine batters. Hill appears to be the weakest link in the rotation at the moment but if he keeps pitching like this the Dodgers will have to figure out a way to juggle their six starters once Walker Buehler is called back up.
Manny Machado said he wasn’t nervous for his first game in Dodger blue and it showed as he singled in his first at-bat and went and finished the game 2-3 with two walks. Machado officially wore the number eight which he said is for Kobe Bryant who Machado is a big fan of. He even has a dog named Kobe. Machado hit second and Dave Roberts said that Manny will hit either second or third in the order.
More from LA Dodgers News
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Dave Roberts’ quote about Padres in NLDS should motivate Dodgers
- Former Astro seemingly takes uncalled for shot at Cody Bellinger after Cubs deal
- Dodgers’ 2023 lineup without Trea Turner isn’t as impressive as it should be
- Recapping who Dodgers gained and lost in Rule 5 Draft
The Dodger bullpen continues to be a weak point as it took Kenley Jansen facing the tying run at the plate despite the ninth inning starting with a 6-2 lead. Scott Alexander pitched a scoreless seventh inning but Daniel Hudson allowed a run in the eighth inning and needed Zac Rosscup and Dylan Floro to finish the inning. Farhan Zaidi was interviewed during the Sportsnet LA broadcast and said the Dodgers are now seeking relief help.
Speaking of the bullpen, Pedro Baez pitched another inning for the Oklahoma City Dodgers last night and struck out two batters in a scoreless inning. If he continues to pitch well he should be called up in the next two weeks.
- Alex Verdugo went 2-5 for the OKC Dodgers last night and Verdugo is really having a solid season in Triple-A. Verdugo now has a .354 batting average with an OPS over .900. Andrew Toles had been called up prior to the all-star break because Verdugo was banged up but now that he is healthy he figures to be the next outfielder to be called up.