The Dodgers bullpen is set to receive a boost the next couple of weeks when Ross Stripling and Julio Urias return. Stripling is set to be activated from the DL today.
The Dodgers are going to activate Ross Stripling from the disabled list prior to today’s game in a move that should bolster the Dodger bullpen. Stripling has been in the bullpen for the past couple of seasons and has a 3.14 ERA as a reliever compared to a 3.54 ERA as a starting pitcher.
Stripling should have a different role this time in the bullpen. The last few seasons Ross Stripling has been more of a long reliever when a starter departed early from a game or the Dodgers needed a reliever to pitch multiple innings. Stripling’s prior pen experience was mainly in low-pressure situations except when he pitched extra innings.
This time it’s possible that the Dodgers could use Stripling in a setup role. As a reliever, Stripling did not use his curveball as much as he does as a starter so this could be something that Ross looks to change this time around. The curve has been Stripling’s best pitch this season and if he used it more in relief then he could become one of the Dodgers’ better relievers.
While there might be a brief transition period like when Kenta Maeda was moved back to the pen, it shouldn’t take Stripling long to become accustomed to being a reliever once again. If Stripling pitches well in relief we might finally see the full potential of the Dodger bullpen with Floro, Maeda, Alexander, and Stripling all pitching the middle innings leading up to Kenley Jansen.
More from LA Dodgers News
- Kevin Kiermaier being ‘top target’ to replace Cody Bellinger is bad sign for Dodgers
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Dave Roberts’ quote about Padres in NLDS should motivate Dodgers
- Former Astro seemingly takes uncalled for shot at Cody Bellinger after Cubs deal
- Dodgers’ 2023 lineup without Trea Turner isn’t as impressive as it should be
- The Dodgers will bring Chase Utley back from the disabled list when rosters expand on Saturday. While Utley won’t receive much playing time with Brian Dozier entrenched as the every day starter, he will be a valuable pinch hitter who knows how to get on base.
- Manny Banuelos and Alex Verdugo were both named to the All-PCL team. Banuelos has posted a 3.59 ERA for the OKC Dodgers and could be a September call-up as a reliever. Verdugo hit .335 for the OKC Dodgers and if it weren’t for the Dodgers having a stacked outfield he would be a regular for the LA Dodgers.
- Walker Buehler starts for the Dodgers tonight and he has been as dominant as any pitcher in baseball over his last three starts as he has a 0.45 ERA in his last three starts. Despite great pitching Buehler has been plagued by poor run support and only has one win in that span. The Dodgers offense will look to back Buehler tonight against the Rangers.
- This week is a big week for the Dodgers who host the Diamondbacks for four games after their brief two game series with the Rangers. The Dodgers must avoid looking ahead and take care of business against the Rangers if they want to set up an opportunity to pass the Dbacks this weekend.