The World Series is nerve-wracking enough but the Dodgers and their fans are perhaps in an even tougher spot now. With star pitcher, Clayton Kershaw in a position to either pick up or decline a player option for the next two seasons, anxiety is at an all-time high. But, a wait that was expected to end on Wednesday, October 31 will now continue as Kershaw and the Dodgers have agreed to extend the decision deadline to this Friday, November 2.
More from Dodgers Way
- Kevin Kiermaier being ‘top target’ to replace Cody Bellinger is bad sign for Dodgers
- Are the Dodgers really prepared to hand Shohei Ohtani a blank check?
- Dodgers fans shouldn’t dismiss interest in Dansby Swanson for this reason
- Giants laughably sign pitcher that Dodgers absolutely own
- Dave Roberts’ quote about Padres in NLDS should motivate Dodgers
The details of the opt-out were as follows: Kershaw had three days from the conclusion of the World Series to decide on whether or not he would continue his time in Los Angeles. The decision was a tough one as it came with three options for the pitcher who has played in Los Angeles for the last decade. First, he could pick up the option good for the next two seasons and worth a monstrous $65 million. Second, Kershaw and the Dodgers had the opportunity to negotiate an extension, voiding the opt-out and keeping Kershaw in LA for at least one more season (it will probably be at least three years if he goes this route). The third and final option and the most nightmarish for Dodger fans is Clayton Kershaw could opt-out of his deal and test the open market.
Now that the Dodgers have extended the deal, there is mounting confidence amongst writers that Kershaw and the Dodgers will come to some sort of agreement before Friday at 1:00 pm PT. If I could add my own opinion into this, I would guess that an extended deadline means Kershaw is in between the decisions of an extension or a complete opt-out.
My opinion is based on the following:
If Kershaw wanted to accept his option and remain in Los Angeles on the two-year extension, he would have made that decision prior to the Wednesday, original, deadline. But, with the deadline now being pushed to Friday afternoon, my guess would be on the Dodgers and Kershaw hitting a snag in contract talks, needing a few more days to discuss the details.
Kershaw could also have an offer from the Dodgers that he likes but he is contemplating taking that or seeing what the free agent market would offer him.
Also worth noting, at the time of this being written, there has been no news on David Freese’s contract with the Dodgers. Freese has a team option built into his deal worth 1 year and $6 million.
This situation will be updated regularly on Dodgers Way.