Dodgers get last laugh over Padres getting owned by Trea Turner, Aaron Judge

Thomas Carannante
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 11: Trea Turner #6 of the Los Angeles Dodgers hits a double during the third inning in game one of the National League Division Series against the San Diego Padres at Dodger Stadium on October 11, 2022 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 11: Trea Turner #6 of the Los Angeles Dodgers hits a double during the third inning in game one of the National League Division Series against the San Diego Padres at Dodger Stadium on October 11, 2022 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Even when the Los Angeles Dodgers lose a near-irreplaceable talent, we’re still laughing at the San Diego Padres. Hang that NLDS victory up in the rafters, guys! It’s the best leverage you’ll perhaps have in this lifetime!

When Trea Turner departed for the Philadelphia Phillies in free agency on an 11-year, $300 million contract, it was no doubt a gut-punch for LA. But it was an expected one. Dodgers insiders and MLB insiders had been speculating for quite some time that the 29-year-old would not be returning to the Dodgers.

The truth of the matter is that Andrew Friedman and the front office were never going to offer a $300 million contract, especially one over the course of 11 years. As for Turner, there was widespread belief he always preferred the east coast anyway, so the Dodgers faced an uphill battle in more ways than one.

In the end, that latter preference of Turner might’ve truly been the difference maker in his quest to find a new team … because the manner in which he spurned the Padres was actually shocking.

Per reports, the Padres out-bid Philadelphia for Turner, but he still opted for the defending NL champs. Actually, “out-bid” might be an understatement.

The Padres made a record-setting offer to Trea Turner but got declined. Dodgers fans love it.

The Padres wanted Turner — the guy they traded years back for Wil Myers — so badly that they were willing to offer him $342 million, which would’ve been the largest deal for a shortstop in MLB history. It would’ve exceeded Fernando Tatis’ $340 million and Francisco Lindor’s $341 million.

And he said no! To the team that drafted him back in 2014 and then sent him to an eventual World Series winner in the Washington Nationals! You can’t get smacked in the face any harder than that.

The Padres are trying to out-Dodger the Dodgers and can’t even lure star free agents with record-setting money. Now fast forward to 2023 when the Pads have the same infield as last year because Tatis Jr. got suspended for farting during a team meeting.

It doesn’t end there, though. The Padres were also reportedly the “surprise mystery team” in on Aaron Judge, as we learned on Wednesday morning. They offered him a 10-year, $400 million contract. It was supposedly the biggest offer Judge had on the table. What did Judge do? He chose the Yankees for nine years and $360 million.

Better hope Manny Machado doesn’t opt out next offseason, or else this could get even more excruciating. Never before in history has a team offered this much money before being told to hit the bricks. Unbelievable.

The Dodgers have pretty much accomplished nothing this offseason outside of bringing back Clayton Kershaw. They lost Turner, Tyler Anderson, Chris Martin and Tommy Kahnle and could see Justin Turner, Cody Bellinger and Andrew Heaney leave, too.

The Padres had that going for them. They had the NLDS win going for them. Now we’re back at square one, with the Dodgers being the big brother while the Padres are trying too hard despite nobody paying attention to them.

facebooktwitterreddit